It’s starting to dawn on me that OpenID and VRM combined become very much like a version of Cardspace (but with much more potential in areas Cardspace can’t touch).
I actually think Cardspace seems like a great idea, and quite a compelling experience as far as single sign-on goes. That said, I would rather see a VRM-based solution for the following reasons (based on my still limited knowledge of Cardspace).
- VRM would support subscription access to data
- VRM would allow broadcast of data to user-selected service providers
- Installation of client software means I can only use single sign-on with admin rights
- Mistrust of an infrastructure initiative pushed by a single company
- VRM/OpenId would allow anybody to be an identity provider for others (it’d be up to the recipient of the identity evidence to decide whether they trusted the identity provider)