Set up some code on your server to return the text below, and set the “Content-Type” header of the HTTP Response to
Getting something working
First up I tried getting a basic event into Outlook (the calendar I have to hand). I found that without the DTSTAMP field Outlook threw a non-specific wobbly. When this field is included Outlook treats it as the creation time of the event. More info on the quirks of specific implementations can be found on the relevant Wikipedia article.
My first working file looked something like this:
VEVENT element nested inside the
VCALENDAR element like in XML.
This seems to work, although seems to be putting the dates into Outlook an hour later than I would’ve expected (and we’re in GMT not BST so it’s not that). In any case, I want to return these as all-day events since we don’t store the specific time of the event. The format for that seems to be
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20070930, which makes sense. The
VALUE=DATE seems to be a way of specifying the data type for a field, in this case
DATE rather than
Next I want to add a reminder to my calendar item. One week should do the trick. Looking at the code below you can see that I’ve nested a
VALARM element within the
VEVENT element. Using a
TRIGGER value of “
-PT7D“, I should now get a notification from my calendar a week before the event. You can also use other units, “
-PT3H” would be three hours, “
-PT5M” would be five minutes, you get the picture.
Alternatively you could input a specific time for the reminder to go off by overriding the
TRIGGER field, like this:
This is my final static version with an all-day event and a reminder.
DESCRIPTION:Reminder to do something
That’s about as far as I need to go with this, now I just need to hook it into the database and link to it correctly. Let me know if you find this useful, or find mistakes, either way someone’s learning something.